Friday, July 5, 2013

Potties and Pacifiers

Okay, I'm trying out a new blog because my old one left me.  I've been lazy about trying to figure out a new blog, but here I go, because I'm really missing out on keeping up with things on here!

Gia has gotten so big!  She has gotten taller (although not thicker, the little stinker) and has been learning so so much.  We've hit major milestones in the past month, such as giving up her pacifier and going poo-poo on the potty.  



The Paci: About a week after turning two, Bobby and I realized that Gianna had chewed through her pacifiers.  I went to give her one, noticed that it was chewed through, and had Gianna throw it away in the trash.  I told her it was broken, handed it to her and asked her to throw it away.  She did this, and then waiting for the second paci.  Upon washing that one, I realized that it, too, had been chewed through!  But this time, I didn't have another back-up pacifier.  So Bobby said that maybe it was time to be done with them (he's been wanting to get rid of the pacifier for a few months).  I reluctantly agreed.  I had to explain to Gianna that her pacis were broken, and that we weren't going to have the pacifier anymore.  I handed her the paci, and she through it away.  Then, she realized what was happening, and started crying.  It was the worst thing ever.  Watching her give up the pacifier killed me.  I cried for half an hour on the couch (while Bobby put her down, because I couldn't handle it), and continued to cry after he came to the couch to comfort me.  My excessive crying could be due to the fact that I'm pregnant, but it was hard anyway.  It still makes me really sad to think of this experience... I guess partly because she's growing up, partly because I had no warning, and partly because I was so concerned that she would feel scared and as if her comfort had been ripped from her.  It took her about 4 days to stop asking for the pacifier, and during that time this was our daily conversation before bed:
Gia: Paci?
Me:  What happened to the paci?
Gia: (Pause) It broken.  In trash.
Me: That's right, it was broken and you threw it in the trash.  But you have Baby, your blanket, and Mama here.
     But now, 3 weeks later, she is fine and doesn't even think about it.  She doesn't even care if other kids have a pacifier, thank goodness!  That's my little trooper.

Second milestone:  Gia went poo-poo on the potty!  I'm pretty relaxed about potty training because Gia seemed to be scared of sitting on the potty a couple months ago, and I don't mind changing diapers.  But, when she started telling me that she had to go poo-poo before it would happen, I figured it was time.  So 2 days ago, on July 3, I rushed her to the bathroom when she said the magic words, and she did it!  This was her initial reaction:
Then I reminded her that she got mini M&Ms for going on the potty, and she relaxed and got excited.  I got this success picture:
We are so proud of her!  She has overcome her fear of the potty :o)  Since then, she's gone on the potty once more successfully, and then accidentally couldn't hold it tonight (but still sat on the potty afterwards).  So, we're not there yet, but definitely making progress! 

No comments:

Post a Comment