Saturday, August 10, 2013

Learning to sew!

Last year for my birthday Bobby's mom got me a sewing machine.  Since she left a few days later to go back to SC, I haven't had a chance to use it since then (seeing as how I don't know the first thing about sewing).  I've been waiting for her to come back so that she could teach me, and this week we got our chance!

This is my first attempt at making things with the sewing machine.  I'm not even close to being proficient, but it was so much fun, and the "products" turned out well enough to use.  Well, the blanket did anyway.  Gia was impressed.  She wanted to sit on her brother's blanket and hold it.  I think that's a sign of approval.

 Here's the receiving blanket and a pillow dress. 
 Remember people, this is my first attempt at sewing ever.  This was just a practice dress.  I don't think I'd actually put this one on Gia.
 Then, Faye and I watched some tutorials on how to make bows, so I tried my hand at them.  The first one took me 10-15 minute to make, but then I had it down, and the second one was done in 5.  So fun and easy!  
Funny story (for football fans):  I almost jeopardized my marriage by making my first bow.  I made the purple one first, and put orange around the center to match one of Gia's dresses, but after I made it Bobby said, "Why are you making Clemson bows?"  I looked at it and said, "Sorry!  I didn't even think about it!"  I later put the bow in my hair and told him, "You should have gone to Clemson.  I look good in purple and orange."  He said, "Watch your mouth."  Too funny :o)  So then I flipped the colors and used a softer purple so that it still matched her dress, but Bobby wouldn't have to hide when he goes out with us in public.
When I get a picture of Gia wearing her outfit & bow, I'll post it here :o)  Thank you Mama Faye for teaching me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment